image

image

Monday, July 28, 2008

Flaming Gorge Family Vacation

It has been a tradition in Chad's family (for many years now) to go to Flaming Gorge every summer. Unfortunately, we weren't able to make it last year and were both really bummed out about it. So this year we were determined to go. And we are sure glad we did!!! Most of the time not everyone can make it up for the same week and it's usually a hit and miss with everyone's schedules, but for some reason we were there together this time. (Except for Jodi and Mike. We missed ya!)
For those of you who don't know, Chad's family is really big into water skiing. And I mean really big into it. I don't think I can fully explain the passion that they all have for the sport. Luckily for them, most of us who have married into the family have either come in with the same passion, or have developed a love of it as well. So we spend a lot of the vacation time skiing the reservoir. The best time and water to ski is in the early morning. So we usually wake up early and hit the water. Unfortunately for me, I've done most of my skiing in the"bathtub" water of Lake Mead, Nevada. Needless to say, I've become a little spoiled. I'm not a big fan of Utah's colder water temperatures, so I have a tendency to avoid jumping into 70 degree water at 7:30 in the morning. I've done it before, but opted out this year. So I did my skiing in the afternoon with all the boat chop. It wasn't very pretty, but lots of fun.
After the morning skiing we would go back to camp, grab some breakfast, make some lunches, and head to the beach. During the day it's harder to go skiing with so much boat traffic, so we would usually go for rides on the tube, swim, or build sand castles. In the afternoon, just like clockwork, storms would roll in so we would usually come back early and hang out before dinner. After eating and cleaning up we would either head out to go fishing, catch crawdads, or go for a quick ride on the motorcycle. It seems like most of our vacations we are keeping busy doing so many different things. It was nice to get away from work and life and just relax on the lake doing nothing.

10 comments:

Karena said...

Looks like a blast! Reminds me of the good old days in Logandale and going to Lake Mead every summer. Good times!

Becky said...

Oh that looks like so much fun. I need a vacation like that.

Jill said...

Ditto Becky! Looks like you guys had a blast. That's what summer is for!

Curley Family said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I miss the whole Walker gang going out and having fun. Maybe next year.

Lexie & Sharrid said...

I haven't skiied for quite some time but my dad has the boat in Logandale so I know it's just a matter of time. I'm pretty sure I've still got it in me. There's nothing like boating on the Lake....

Kylene said...

OMG! It sounds like it was so much fun! I love the pictures!

Jason & Claire said...

Fun! I love going boating with the family. It's one of my favorite family activities. I know it's weird, but I think you look so pretty in that picture with you holding the big creepy crawly thing. I'm glad you had such a great time.

Kalun and Kristi said...

You took such cute pictures!! I think you took better pics of my kids than I did. I'm so glad you guys got to come this year. We'll have to make sure and take Kalun crawdad hunting next year, maybe he'll actually get one.

Sarah said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the gorge! I especially love that it can be raining on you while you're skiing on pure glass! (Maybe not so smart, but very fun!)

AnnCP said...

OH - to have a boat again and go do water sports. I agree with Chad's family - this is the best type of vacation EVER! We have so many fun memories with our kids going out to the different lakes and Mission Bay in San Diego.

ann packard