image

image

Friday, August 15, 2008

B.O.O.T Camp at Lake Lyman

Well, I just recently returned from another successful girls camp. Every year our Stake goes to Lake Lyman for girls camp. It's a gorgeous area and we were lucky enough to have great weather the entire time. However, this year was a little different from all the other camps I've gone to. First of all, this was my first time going to camp as a Stake Leader. It was a little different being a leader at the Stake level, but still lots of fun. It's been a blast getting to know the girls and leaders throughout the Stake and I still was able to hang out with my ward at night.I was also able to have my little sister go with me this year. My parents were out of town, so she was with me for the week. She had a really good time and I was impressed with how well she got along with everyone in my ward. (Thanks to everyone who made her feel at home)

Our theme for the year was B.O.O.T. Camp (Building Our Own Testimonies) Hence the camo. I was in charge of the craft for the entire Stake which gave me more gray hairs than I'd wish to have. We decided to make the gift something that the girls would actually like to have and hang on to for years to come. So we came up with the idea of magnet boards. They were really fun and easy to make and the girls loved them. The hardest part was finding and ordering all of the materials, finding people to cut the wood and tin, and keep it all within the budget I was given. Talk about stress. Anyway, I think they look really cute. Not only was the craft a big hit, but the entire length of girls camp was too. I had so many leaders and young women tell me how much they enjoyed this year, and I had several tell me it's the best camp they've ever been too. We had some pretty miraculous stories and events take place that changed many lives. It was neat to see girls come up one way and leave totally changed, having been touched by the spirit. I have such a strong testimony of the importance of girls camp and the effect it has on the testimonies of the youth. It is such a rewarding feeling to know that we were able to touch lives and hopefully influence our girls for the better. Now, if we can just do the same thing next year!

8 comments:

Karena said...

I love the craft. Too cute! I would love to be called to Young Women, just for Girls Camp. I never thought I would, but I miss it more every year.

Connie said...

Lucky you, I love Girls Camp too. Looks like ti was a big success! Great job! And I love the craft- very cute!

Sarah said...

WAY CUTE CRAFT! You do such a good job w/ the YW program! Glad you had fun at camp. I miss that part of yw's a lot (sniff, sniff).

Kylene said...

Girls Camp was soooo much fun I'm glad I got to come!

Kalun and Kristi said...

Very cute craft!! We never did any cute crafts like that when I was in YW's

Becky said...

I am glad you had fun. You did such a great job with the craft. I bet the girls just loved them.

Jill said...

Camp was so great Camie, thank you so much for all your hard work. You guys did an incredible job and so many lives were touched. I feel so blessed to have been able to be there. And, the craft was way fun! I love looking at mine everyday! Thanks!

Jenny said...

Let me send you Emi next year!? sounds like yours was great.