Well, the title of this post should say it all. Chad and I are stranded out in the middle of nowhere right now. Actually, we're in a little town outside of Vernal, Utah (Roosevelt) waiting to see if our truck can be fixed. To pass the time we came to the local library which has a couple of computers with access to the internet. I suppose I should start this story at the beginning.
Chad and I decided to take a week off of work, for the Labor Day weekend, and head out to his grandparents cabin to go four-wheeling. We came out on Friday night and planned on being out here for 5-6 days spending most of our time riding up in the mountains. We've had such a great time. It has been so nice to have a few days with absolutely no responsibility. We've slept in, stayed up late, been gone all day riding, and have been pretty lazy. I would have taken tons of pictures, but of course the batteries choose to die out on us.
Well, Tuesday night as we were pulling back into the cabin our truck (our brand new truck) had a warning light go off. It told us that our oil pressure was low and that we needed to stop the truck and turn off the engine immediately. (Blessing #1:) The great thing is that we had just pulled into the cabin and weren't up in the mountains when this happened. So we stopped. Chad checked the oil level and looked to see if we were leaking anything. Everything seemed fine. At this point we weren't quite sure if it was something serious so we figured we would wait until the morning to deal with it.
The next morning Chad turned it on and noticed that the oil pressure indicator was on zero. If you have no oil pressure and continue to drive your vehicle your engine could catch fire. Not a good thing. Especially, since Chad and I don't have cell phones. (Blessing #2:) Luckily, our truck has a free one year subscription to Onstar. So we were able to call the dealership and ask them what they recommend. They told us to have Onstar call a towing company and tow our truck to the nearest dealership. After a 4 hour wait the tow truck arrived and loaded up our truck and hauled it to Roosevelt for us.
At this point Chad and I were stuck in Fruitland, a good 60 miles from Roosevelt, with nothing but a four-wheeler and dirt bike. We spent the rest of the day watching movies and contemplating our options. (Blessing #3:) Good thing Chad doesn't have to be back to work until next week, and I have an understanding employer. Thanks Kevin!
So, we now find ourselves in Roosevelt after an uncomfortable ride on the motorcycle, waiting for the diagnostics to be done on the truck. Once they figure out what is wrong, we can figure out how long we'll be stranded in the deserts of Utah. Worse case scenario.....truck isn't ready today and we get a rental car (which we can only get in Vernal, another 30 miles away), head back to the cabin and wait until Saturday, then if we still don't have a truck we head home and return when it's fixed. (Blessing #4:) At least the truck is still under warranty! Everything from the towing, repairs, and possible rental car should be covered.
Needless to say it's been quite the adventure and at this point we are ready to be home.
10 comments:
That is crazy!! Thank goodness for warranties and onstar! Well I guess we'll all wait for the update to hear if you get home anytime soon.
Oh you guys! I hope everything works out. You have such a great attitude, I probably would be sulking.
Oh that is quiet the story. I am so glad the truck is under warrenty. I hope that you are able to make it back in one piece. Let us know if we need to come get you. :)
I hope that there's nothing serious, especially with a brand new truck, but at least you had that OnStar and the warrenty. I sure hope that you aren't stranded much longer. We'll keep you in our prayers!
Oh, Geez! That really stinks! I hope your truck gets fixed quickly! At least you have seen the bright side of things, the blessings in all of this! : )
What an adventure you're having! You guys are having a great attitude about it- I have a really hard time counting my blessings so easilly in those situations! (Although being stranded with nothing to do sounds really nice somedays...)
Some people have all the luck!
I hate to say this, but I'm still kind of laughing at your whole situation. I guess it is just the picture of you and Chad on a motorcycle all the way to Roosevelt. You must have fit right in with all the other Harley touring bikers...haha. I'm glad you are home and all is well though. But, I can't wait to hear Chad and you retell the story in person.
hope you guys are home by now! makes you think twice about getting onstar with your next new car purchase, eh?
Wow you have had an adventure you will never forget.
As for the award. Scroll down about 5 post down now. And then save as a picture. I just right clicked on the award picture saved as a picture. Then just fallow what the post tells you to do.
Glad everything worked out with your truck.
Love you
Aunt Jenny
Post a Comment