image

image

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Be Ye Prepared

Most of you know that I've been on a huge food storage kick for awhile. I've been slowly building up our 1 year supply of food and just recently finished putting our 72 hr. kits together. YEAH!!!!
We had most of the stuff for our kits, the problem was that all the stuff was scattered in various areas instead of being centrally located. So, I finally buckled down and focused on getting our 72 hr. kits put together in one spot. That way it's easy to grab and run out the door, if need be. I found a couple of itemized lists online and started checking things off as they went in the bag. At this point our kits are done and feature everything from clothing, food and essential hygiene supplies, to games, scriptures, and a small tent. It was exciting for me to check off the last item, zip it all up and throw it in the nearest closet. Now all I have to do is update it in 6 months.


Our dehydrated dinners. Yummy!

Then, to help get me even more motivated about being prepared, I went to a preparedness fair that our ward put together. It was pretty much like a job fair, with different booths. Except the booths for this activity focused on a different aspect of what we can do to be prepared. Our bishop has been really concerned with our ward being better prepared and following the counsel that the prophets have given us. He's set a goal for every member in the ward to have at least a 3 month supply of food, so to help get the ball rolling we had the preparedness fair. They talked about storing water, cooking with your food storage (lots of yummy samples), working on a financial reserve, methods of cooking and tons of other things. They even had a booth set up for families to make identification cards for their kids. It was really informative and gave me some really great ideas on what I need to be working on.

I FORGOT TO MENTION: I decided to throw all of my handouts, flyers, lists, and anything else that deals with food storage and emergency preparedness, into a three ringed binder that will go with our 72 hr. kits. That way I have easy access to any information that I may need. I also made sure to throw in recipes that deal with cooking with your food storage and a cookbook that I got at the church mill for $1.50.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been on a big kick too, to get things together. Good job on getting you 72 hour kit all done!! It's nice to have something checked off on the list you have for your life.

Sariah said...

Hey Camie that is great that you are getting everything ready. I have a hard time getting the 72 hour kit in one place and to have it stay in one place. My ward wants every one to be prepared as well I think that the fair is a great idea. Could you e-mail me all the info that you got? serabeengeorgie@cox.net

Becky said...

I am so happy that you got your kit together. That is the one thing on my list that keeps sliding by. I need your inspiration. Also, I had a lady I work with who would swith the stuff out at Conference time to help her remember when it needed to be done. Smart eh?!?
I loved the ward fair too. It was GREAT!

Anonymous said...

great ideas for being prepared. I need that list, could you send it to me also.
simplyafamily@live.com

Love ya
Aunt Jenny

Karena said...

Gavin and I are anxious to get our food storage going. We were in the process of staring when he lost his job. We can't help, but feel that if we had started sooner that we could've been better prepared. We've learned our lesson, and are ready for a job to fall in our laps so that we can make better decisions in the future.

Sarah said...

You are great! I keep saying something's coming soon, because it seems everyone's been feeling the promptings to get in gear & get prepared NOW!

Kalun and Kristi said...

That's so cool, Kalun and I have been kind of trying, but I know we need to make more of an effort to gather all that stuff.