image

image

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Blake's CANCER CRUSHERS!!

I'd like you to meet Blake. (Chad serves with Blake's dad in his calling and we've been able to learn more about their amazing family through their service together.) At the beginning of the year Blake was diagnosed with Leukemia. He's undergone the normal kemo treatments, and like most cancer patients, he's had his good days and bad days. In spite of the pain his little body has been put through, the times that I've seen him he's been full of life and energy, and has always had a smile on his face. Blake is a fighter and has faced this disease with faith in his Father in Heaven and strength and courage. And most importantly....Blake has chosen to fight back.
In an effort to help raise money for research, Blake set a goal to collect and donate $300 by collecting aluminum cans. He was able to collect over 250 pounds of cans and exceeded the $300 with the help of members from his ward, his dad's co-workers, and family members. Blake also put together a team for the American Cancer Society Relay For Life.
Relay For Life is a fun-filled overnight event designed to celebrate survivorship and raise money for research and programs of the American Cancer Society. During the event, teams of people gather at schools, fairgrounds, or parks and take turns walking or running laps. Each team tries to keep at least one team member on the track at all times. We were privileged enough to be members of Blake's team: Blake's Cancer Crushers. Chad and I signed up to walk from 11:00-12:00 p.m. We arrived early and walked around all the different booths that each team had set up. Each booth was selling different things and all the proceeds were going to the American Cancer Society. There were raffles for cakes, ipods, and a Nintendo Wii, good music and tons of food. We had such a great time and enjoyed the feelings that came in supporting a good cause.

At some point in our lives we will either known someone who has had cancer, and survived, or someone who has lost their life because of it. To learn more about this disease and what you can do to help fight back visit the American Cancer Society website. And if you're interested in donating just click here.

7 comments:

Karena said...

Blake is awesome! We can all follow his example. And good for you guys. I'm a little jealous that you can walk for an hour. I'm starting to srtuggle with going up and down the stairs. I guess that's what the third trimester does.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had fun and what a worthwhile way to smend a mid-night! I'ts amazing how we at adults will complain about dumb little things and it will ruin our day. And here is this KID who has to live with a disease and does it with a smile.
Good Job Blake on the money that you rasied!!
Thanks Cami for reminding me (us) that there is always someone more in need than ourselves.

Connie said...

Very inspiring! My heart goes out to Blake and his family. What a great example of courage and determination. Glad you got to be involved in that.

Becky said...

I was able to do the Relay for Life a few years ago and thought it was great. I had no idea that the time that Mont's mom would lose her life to cancer. It is such a great program. I am glad you got a chance to be a part of it.

Anonymous said...

How inspiring. My aunt is battling breast cancer. So far she is winning the battle. I try to be supportive as best I can. What a great example and inspiring post.

Jason & Claire said...

What a neat family to know. What a worthwhile way to spend your time. What an example of determination he is to all of us with any of the battles in life.

Kalun and Kristi said...

What an awesome kid!! I get the opportunity with my job to meet a lot of amazing families going through huge trials, what a good reminder to be grateful for our health each day. I would love to do the relay, if they need more people next time let us know!