image

image

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Football games and Funerals

I hate to have that be the title of this blog, but that's exactly what we've been busy doing since this week started. First we started off with the footbal game. Chad's dad got some extra tickets to a Utah Blaze game and invited us to come along. Most of you know how much Chad and I enjoy football so we jumped on the chance. Besides I had never seen an AFL (Arena Football League) football game before. It was tons of fun.
It was also a little different from your average football game. Instead of the 50 yard line there is a 25 yard line and technically there are no out-of-bounds. Instead they have these "bumper pads" lining the field's exterior and if you push a guy up against that he's considered out-of-bounds. And you should see the goal posts! It's about a third of the size of what they normally are. (You can see them in the picture with me in it. They are the two bright yellow ones.)
!
I felt bad for Chad! I kept asking question after question trying to figure out what was different and which rules still applied. I think he missed some of the plays while talking to me. Oops!! It was really fun to get out and watch some good ol' football. It was really nice that the Utah Blaze pulled out the win making it a close and exciting game
The next day we had a family funeral to attend for my mom's aunt. The services were beautiful and everyone had a great time talking and crying. It was really nice to get together and see family that I haven't seen for a few years. I snapped a few pictures for those fellow family members out there who were not able to make it. And of course I had to get the ones where everyone is trying to stuff their faces!!
My cousins, my sister,and me

Uncle Chris and Aunt Diana
The girls
Grandpa and Grandma

9 comments:

Connie said...

Very cute pictures. I hadn't heard that Aunt Alice had passed, just that she was not doing very well at all. She was such a great lady and she will be missed. I'll bet it was nice to see everyone!

Tibi said...

The game looks fun! Glad you snapped some shots at the funeral. You guys all look so cute!

Karena said...

I'm glad it was a great service, and I'm sad that I wasn't able to be there.

Wierd football game. I wouldv'e been so confused, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

felt bad that I missed what turned out to be not only a Packard Family reunion. But a carlsbad reunion as well. I loved Aunt Alice, so did my parents. They were sad to hear about her passing.

Vicki said...

Man, it stinks to have to choose between good things. It's getting easier to choose between good and bad, but when it's two good things, it's not so fun. I think I was the only one NOT there, but Relief Society didn't go away and I had obligations, plus getting Tibi off to camp the next morning early. I hope I get to see the pictures Scott took someday. Thanks for the pics you posted. At least I got to see my mom and dad!

Camie said...

Vicki-
I heard you were swamped and had forty or fifty missionaries to feed!!?? We missed having you there, but you were where you needed to be and doing the right thing. I'm sure you'll have plenty of pictures to check out! Yvette was getting a little camera happy.

Lexie & Sharrid said...

you'll be blessed mother.

BallerinaBiker said...

the football game looks cool. I've been to one in vegas before. It was different.

And, I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. She sounds like a really neat lady. And, I guess there's always something positive about funerals - family!

Jason & Claire said...

I'm sorry about your aunt. If you're going to have to deal with a funeral and a death in the family, the best way to do it is with family. At least there was good food, right?