image

image

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What's in a name?

I'm sure I'll blog about Christmas at some point in the future, but right now this is taking top priority in my life.
Chad and I are really struggling with finding a name for our up and coming baby girl! There are a few that we are able to agree on, but none of them seem to fit. We've always liked Madison (Madie for short) and Alex but they just don't feel right! So, for the past 7 months I've been hounding Chad with possible options only to have them all turned down and rejected. I'm getting desperate. I told him that I refuse to go to the hospital without a name and that I'd have the baby in a tub if it came down to that. His only help has come in the suggestion of two names. Several months ago he threw out the name Tangerine. Of course he wasn't serious, but he hasn't offered any other suggestions until the other night.....Britteny. At first I was dead set against it! Immediately the image of a bald Brittney Spears popped into my head. Brittney has never been on my list of names, but the more I thought about it the more it wore on me and really seemed to fit. It's a common name, but isn't really being used nowadays! I don't know. At this point I'm getting desperate and need your input, suggestions, and advice. I've listed a few names that we're okay with on a poll on my sidebar. So go vote and if you have any other ideas please let me know! Thanks for your help.....I really don't look forward to calling my newest little girl "baby no name" for the rest of her life.

19 comments:

Lexie & Sharrid said...

Ok, Camie first of all it's hard to vote on the poll because I think I know how these are pronounced but some of them I'm not sure. If you go with Britney, you have to think of what spelling. There's Britteny, Brittney, Britney (like Spears), Brittany, ect...I never liked Madison and it got way common too. Alexie I figure is like my name with a big "uh" in front of it. The only reason I don't like it is cause it's so close to my name but not quite there. Kind of like Camille or Camillia would be for you...Paityn is way popular, and I don't know what Kirie is supposed to sound like so I can't say. Mailie is okay, kind of hard to say and Korie is cool. Do you guys like Tory? At this rate I don't know if I'll be having one girl, maybe 2 at the most is my chances, so I'll give you an idea of mine, since you're desperate....and it is Navy. Good luck, I'll try and vote on the poll...and for some advice, watch the end credits of movies for name ideas...

Sariah said...

With our first little girl I was very worried about the names. I knew that she had a special name just for her. I didn't know what it was getting very stressed out about it. I prayed about what her name was supposed to be. One night I had a dream that my husband and I were walking through a nursery,(can't spell today) and someone handed us a baby. I then asked what her name was and she told me Cynthia Alexandria. I then woke up and knew that that was her name. I know that it probably won't happen the same way for you, but my advice is to pray about it if you haven't already. With our second we had a name picked out before she was born as well, but for the rest of our children we have had to see them to know what their names where. With the exception of Joshua. Bryan knew as soon as we found out we were having a boy. Good luck on finding a name for your new little daughter.

Chastina said...

With my two youngest I went online and Googled baby names and name meanings. Then I spent a lot of time looking through the thousands of names. I vote for three (in order) Madie, Alex, and Mailie.

Camie said...

Lexie-
I have to agree with you on Alexie. I personally love the name Lexie and I've wanted to use it for awhile, but Chad's not into it. He said Alexie was a little bit better, but I still don't know if he's that into it!
Kirie is pronouned like Kira but with the "ee" sound at the end instead of the "a" sound. I absolutely love the name Korie, but I just can't convince Chad on it....hadn't thought about Torie though! I'll have to throw it out there and see what he thinks. Thanks for you input and advice.

Thomas Family said...

When I had a baby girl I was going to name her either Bailee or Lauren. We ended up with Jenna. Go figure. It will be interesting to hear what you guys end up choosing.

The Noble Steeds said...

I think baby names are way STRESSFUL! You have to find something that fits them while they are little AND all grown up! I have to admit, I like Korie. I also noticed you had Alex and Alexie so what about Alexa? I also like Ryan for a girl. I've also seen it spelled Ryen. I'm sure you will find the perfect name in the end!

Connie said...

Sounds like Chad is a bit picky :) So far I like Alex, Korie (love it), Torie (love it), and Ryan sounds cute too. So those are my top four. Also Maddie and Paityn are very common, but cute as well. I'm not digging on Kirie and Alexie probably because they hit too close to home, but end up missing for me. The spellings of Kirie and Mailie are hard to read and each time I read them I am reading them really slowly to make sure I get it right. Maybe a different spelling for them? There is an adorable baby girl in our ward named Paisley, which I love, but I don't think it would fit with our family's names. Good luck!

Brianna said...

I voted for Alex (I'm partial for boy names for girls) ... it is my favorite of the bunch. I also like Maisey (isn't that cute with Kinsie?!!), Tess, Audrey, and Bree (not because it's close to my name)... happy hunting!

P.S.- Two more words of advice, make sure it goes with the middle name (if there is one), and check the social security website for popularity status.

Tibi said...

I think Mailie is so cute! I agree with connie i had a hard time reading it at first, but i still really like it. I really love the name Paityn ive always wanted to name my little girl that.

Keri said...

I say no to Kirie and Korie but that's only because I think they are too close to Kinsie. I like Mailie and Madison but, of course, if you and chad are both feeling Britney then go for it. I have a baby name book if you want me to send it to you. That's how we found Kailyn's name. All we knew was that we wanted her name to start with a K and the book really helped us with that. Let me know.

Brianna said...

Okay, so I have to ask... is Mailie pronounced Mylee? If not, what?

Camie said...

Brianna-
Actually it's pronounced more like Maylee. Chad and I really love Mylee, but we thought it might be too soon with Miley Cyrus. That's why we thought of Maylee instead. What do you think? Would it be bad to use Mylee right now?

Jenny said...

Well, I really understand where your at right now.We had a hard time picking names when we had Becca.We were at the Hospital having her when the name finally came to us. We had names picked out like Jessica or Jessie. I loved Megan, Uncle Bob did not. I also wanted an Elizabeth to call Lizzi! He would not go for it. He had dated an Elizabeth.

Madison is a very popular name in the schools right now. Along with Madie which can be spelled Maddie.

I like the name Milly! It is different I bet there would not be another like it when she is in school.

What about Taylyn instead of Kaylyn.

But if I have to pick from your list. Brittney sounds pretty.

Well, good luck. I know one person you might not have asked. I suggest you both ask together. Heavenly Father. He might have a suggestion!

Karena said...

Mailie. No matter what anyone else has said, I read it just fine. It sounds ADORABLE!

I agree with Keri that Kirie and Korie is just a little too close to Kinsie. You don't want to get stuck in a rut and limit yourself on future baby names.

But I'm sure that you know that this is what going to be what you and Chad want. No matter what her name is...we will all love her!!!

Anonymous said...

What ever you decide. You have to yell the whole name out your back door. If you laugh while you say it, it won't be as effective when she is in trouble.

What about more simple, like Sarah, or Rebecca, or Emily. They sound good when they are little and little old ladies.

And this is just my opinion but think about in school too are teachers going to have a hard time saying her name because of the way it is spelt.

I'm with you, when Tim was born {10 weeks early} he didn't have a name when we went to the hospital and so as the pulled him out I yelled at the husband to "pick a name!" Although Tim is a good name but after further thought I din't like it much.... I like to be prepared and know what I'm going to call the kid...

Tose are my thoughts....{happy birthing :)}

Stuart Humes said...

I personally love the name Madison, but we actually don't like having 1 name picked out when we get to the hospital. We like having two or three! Then we spend some time with the baby and decide which name we think fits. Not everyone is crazy about this idea, but we always have a hard time agreeing on 1 particular name. Once the baby is here, we have never disagreed on which name to give them. Good luck! I'm sure it will be find no matter what!

Brianna said...

No I don't think it's too soon for Mylee (or Mylie, I like this spelling better). I think both Maylee or Mylie are great names, but I like them both spelled this way... easier to read.

Kalun and Kristi said...

I love the name Mailie! It's one I always wanted but Kalun vetoed all names starting with "m" I doubt you are really checking this poll since you are in the hospital as we speak with your brand new little one but I still thought I'd voice my opinion. Another name I love that's an M name is Macie.

Jason & Claire said...

I'm a little late here but my SIL named her daughter Mayley two days ago. That's the fifth one I know of in the last couple of months. It might be the next 'Isabella.'

I like what you're thinking with Britney. You're right, it's not common at all any more. And, if it all of a sudden hits you and you like it when you never have before maybe it's just her;) Can't wait to see pictures of the little lady...whatever her name is.

PS- what you wrote about 'baby no name' at the end made me laugh because of my brother. It's a long story but he was 'Little Guy Leavitt' for the first nine months of his life.