Facebook....to join or not to join.
I'm torn on what to do. Right now Chad is the only in one who has a Facebook account. So, every once in awhile I'll jump on and see what others are up to. Mainly I browse photos and chat with my brother in law. Lately, I've been debating on actually getting my own account and catching up with those long lost friends of mine.
Here's my hold up. I don't view Facebook as a log of my daily events. (Even though it seems like some of the most random things are shared by others.) I look at my blog as my journal and record of family events that are taking place, mingled with the occasionally bit of randomness. I view Facebook as a great way to get in touch with friends, view their photos and see their families, and I think it makes for one great address book....of sorts. If I were to join Facebook I would be one of those facebookers/bloggers who only posts once every year, although I would chat with someone for hours on end. Also, I really have been holding off on joining so I can still be numbered with the few that haven't "conformed". Kind of like how Chad and I still don't have cell phones (pause for audible GASP!) I'm living proof that you can live without your cell phone!
Here's why I want to join. I have a ton of great friends that I would love to get back in touch with and not everyone has a blog that they keep up, but it seems like most people are on Facebook. That's the only way I can really get in contact with some of these people.
There you have it. The worries that fill my day. Haaahaaahaaa...ya right. I wish that was the only worry that ever filled my day. But for now this is the one you get to hear about. :)
10 comments:
In all actuality FB is pretty dumb. And you see it how I do- kind of a glorified address book. By joining, don't feel like you have to fill a quota or post a bunch. I don't post a lot. But it has been awesome finding out where people went and seeing their families. I'd join, it's no big deal. And don't worry about wasting time on there. The novelty wears off real fast and then it's just an address book, but nice to have.
I'm with you and Connie. I only go on Facebook when I confirm a friend. There are a few people who, over the years, I lost contact with. With more and more people loosing their land lines, Facebook is a great way to find these people. Other than that, I don't check it. I don't post what I did two minutes ago. Blogging is a journal and Facebook is a way to find old friends and see how they are. I always secretly hope they have blogs!
I hear ya'. In most ways, I think Facebook is so ridiculous (I look at Andee's from time to time as well, which is my only experience with it). But if it weren't for my profession, I might get one. Speaking of addresses, can I get yours? I don't think I have it!
FB is pretty lame. It's set up pretty dumb too. The people I really care about hardly ever post but when anyone does, I have it go to my email so that I don't have to check FB. I'm on FB simply for the fact that some people don't and will never have a blog. Just because you're on FB doesn't mean you are into it or that you care at all, so don't worry about joining, all the control is yours. To tell you the truth, it's nice to have those long lost relatives or friends contact info if you ever needed it but I would be on FB a lot more if my family was, but Michaela doesn't have an account, Kira, Connie and I are hardly ever on there, and Tibi and my parents aren't on a lot either...
P.S. I haven't had a cell phone in 2 years. I'm also living proof that it can be done but I'll be getting one again at some point, because of safety and convenience, especially with my handicap. But, yep, it can be done and it's not that big of a deal.
I agree that FB is a great way to get in contact with people you haven't talked to in a while. I occasionally post but only when I want to. I share pictures and send messages to friends more than update about my life. I have a lot of friends who prefer FB because it's a one to three line update rather than coming up with a blog post.
Also, don't be afraid to deny friend requests or occasionally delete friends on FB.
Well, I did it. I finally joined Facebook. Watch for your friends requests from me. Or please send me one in case I miss one of you :)
I "Friended" you.... as requested. I don't get on all the time. I do post things I want my mother or family to know. There are ton of friends on mine that are from High School, this is the only way we talk. There is a game that my girls and I play on face book together. But I don't do it every day. It is a real waste of my precious time.
I'm on of those that abandoned my blog and now just adds pics and what not to my facebook...I need to get out of that habit. I'm glad to have you as a friend :) Love all the pics of your adorable little family. Your girls are so cute!
I don't have a cell phone either.... I like to stay in contact with people but some times it just to much.
I really don't want to know some of the things that people put on FB
I enjoyed reading this entry...I'm also one of those holding out on joining facebook, but it's always annoying when I go to read something and discover I have to log in to facebook in order to do so! But I know I won't keep up either. Ah, dilemmas! :) I love seeing the pictures of the girls. They're growing so fast!
Post a Comment