image

image

Monday, August 22, 2011

It's quiet. Too quiet!

When am I going to learn that too much silence in my home equals an utter disaster.  One that I am left to clean up all by my lonesome.  Now, I'm not just talking about a mess that needs to be picked up and organized.  Nope, I'm talking about the scrubbing, gluing, sweating and often times crying messes that require way too much elbow grease.  Messes like...
-the 32 oz. bottle of bubbles that were spilled on my carpet
-the Kool-aid drops that dotted Kinsie's bedroom floor
-the JUICY peaches that were stolen from the kitchen counter and eaten on my couches
-the yogurt and applesauce that has not only ended up all over my little girl faces, but has somehow managed to find it's way into their ears
-the pencil, pen, and crayon  markings that I've found on my walls, chairs and table
-the liquid soap that has been dumped on my counter too many times to count
...and the list goes on and on.
You would that that after having had my fare share of disasters to clean up that I would have learned to keep better vigilance over my girls.  However, I find myself enjoying the quiet time that these disasters bring.  Sometimes it's the only quiet time I get and I think that why it takes me awhile to finally realize that messes are being made.  And it's funny, even though I know that my house is being destroyed in some far corner, I seem to find myself dragging my feet to go and hunt down my two little hooligans just so I can enjoy two more seconds of quiet.  Pathetic, yes.  Desperate, you betcha.  Worth it, the jury is still out on that one! 

7 comments:

Connie said...

I so hear ya on this one! It's a catch 22, because the quiet times can help you stay sane, but the messes drive you nuts!

Brandon and Aubrey said...

Amen!

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness, you made me laugh! This kind of thing has happened to me more than I care to admit. And it was much worse when I was pregnant. And you've got TWO big enough to cause trouble! At least for now Rachel is still too little to be getting into much. What am I going to do when she's older?!?

Chastina said...

That is so true! I still find myself checking on my kids when it's to quiet.

Karena said...

I agree that sometimes the quiet is too tempting to leave, but I also think that we try to convince ourselves that the REAL reason that they are quiet is because they are somewhere quietly reading a book or doing a puzzle, something that will make our hearts melt and cause us to say, "Oh that's so precious!" When in fact we know that isn't true. We know there is a disaster waiting for us, but we'd rather live under the illusion that our children aren't the demolition crew that they are. We want to hold on to the hope that our children can be imaginative and creative in a well-behaved manner. I hold onto the hope that one day I will be pleasantly surprised that the quiet was caused by them just being quiet.

Sarah said...

I hear ya- I've gotten to the point where any kind of silence causes my heart to race with anxiety!

AnnCP said...

It is only carpet, and time it takes to clean up - yet, another mess. I know you may not see the humor - but reading about this - ummm, 20 years from now, it will all bring a smile to your face. Hang in there!

And CONGRATULATIONS on another baby girl! We like those sweet critters!